You read it right, Ogglers: today I’m baking with Mashed Potato.
And you know what? The results are ruddy delicious: not heavy or starchy, but firm – with a gorgeous bite.
Indeed, this is more of a textural thing – you can’t really taste the Tater.
What you will taste, however, is sweet, delicious Cinnamon by the bucketload. And it will BLOW YOUR MIND.
So then. Got some Potato? Fancy something a bit different?
Then what are you waiting for?
Mashed Potato and Cinnamon Spudcakes (makes approx 18)
- 260g sugar
- 200g softened butter/margarine
- 180g finely mashed (or puréed) potato
- 260g self raising flour (or 260g plain flour with 2½ tsp baking powder)
- 4 eggs
- 4 heaped tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- PLUS 350g of your chosen icing
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees (fan assisted) or gas mark 4, and lay your cupcake cases out on however many baking trays you need
- Cream sugar, syrup, fat and potato with a wooden spoon (easier to do if the potato’s still warm, though it doesn’t really matter either way)
- Add the eggs and beat thoroughly
- Fold in the flour and cinnamon, keeping things light and airy
- When all the ingredients are fully incorporated, pour the mix into your cupcake cases (to about ¾ full)
- Lick the bowl (the batter is AWESOME) – and try not to get salmonella
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. If you prick them with a knife and it comes out clean they’re ready to come out
- Allow to cool on a wire rack
- In the meantime, prepare whatever icing you see fit (I used a simple vanilla buttercream, but would also recommend something of the cream cheese variety – such as the white chocolate frosting in my favourite Chocolate Berry Cake)
- Smear it all over the tops of your cupcakes (but not until they’ve cooled right down)
- Gorge (and then gorge some more)