Well, on Monday, it was time to restore the balance, and finally make something great with my failed Mallow Mix.
This time, instead of that gross Cocoa Powder, I knocked up a cake using something that was proven to be tasty: a pot of Christmas Drinking Chocolate from Steenbergs (tested last week in a mug of hot milk – just what the doctor ordered).
The resulting bake was the goo-filled triumph I’d longed for, flavoured with Ginger, Cinnamon, Cloves, Vanilla; all the spices you need as the nights draw in.
Though I do say so myself, the texture was particularly awesome (so much moisture) as well as being pretty darn unusual. It was the Agar Flakes what done it, making the whole thing slightly bouncy; like a Chocolate Blancmange had been spliced with a Sponge.
Ogglers, I urge you to try it.
Serve hot with Crème Fraîche or Vanilla Ice Cream (not to mention a dollop of Salt Caramel Sauce), and ready yourself for a hearty, Hoggish wallowing…
Gooey Chocolate Spice Cake (serves 8)
- 2 eggs, separated
- 230g sugar
- 100g softened butter or vegetable spread
- 40g spiced drinking chocolate (either Steenbergs, or your own blend)
- 170g plain flour
- 160g milk (semi-skimmed worked for me)
- Half tsp baking powder
- Half tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 3g agar flakes
You will also need a greased 20cm springform cake tin
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees (gas mark 3)
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter/spread and sugar together until creamy
- Add the egg yolks and stir
- Sift flour, drinking chocolate, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into bowl. Add the agar flakes and beat well, gradually adding the milk as you go, creating a mixture that’s smooth and lump-free
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks. Then fold this carefully into the chocolate mixture, until all the whites are fully incorporated
- Pour gently into your tin (so as not to knock out all the air) and cook in the centre of the oven for approximately 30 minutes. When it’s ready, the top will be firm and risen, with a slight wobble underneath. Without the wobble you won’t get the goo…
- Allow to cool slightly and transfer to a wire rack
- Serve while warm for a tasty post-dinner (or post-breakfast) treat